Martin Harvey -- Thread Tutorial
name
2003-08-30 23:01:25 UTC
um ive found a few more little errors -- if you want to hear them post away
if not then ill keep them to my self.
Martin Harvey
2003-08-31 00:35:11 UTC
Post by name
um ive found a few more little errors -- if you want to hear them post away
if not then ill keep them to my self.
HA! I know that there are precisely 3 error in the entire tutorial of
any significance.

One is in the changelog, where I comment about having added a chapter,
and promptly get the chapter name wrong.

Another is in the narrative somewhere, where a reference a nonexistent
diagram, somewhere around chapter 5 or 6,

The third is the fact that when talking about threads and database
access, my conditions for correct database functioning are not strict
enough.

Many other people have reviewed the guide and not found any other
significant errors. If you think you've found some, then feel free to
point them out, but I'd like to remind you if that if you find a whole
bunch of "nonexistent" errors, it aint gonna make you look too good in
front of everyone else.

MH.
name
2003-08-31 00:45:48 UTC
<snip>

Before I start posting your errors please define:

1.) Errors of any significance
2.) "nonexistent" errors
name
2003-08-31 00:51:12 UTC
Post by Martin Harvey
Post by name
[...]
Um there are a bunch like ",dD" ^_^ -- it will make you look bad if i
post
all these errors though.
Ex of the errors im finding:
(http://www.pergolesi.demon.co.uk/prog/threads/Ch3.html)
"First of all, it is worth know exactly what state is stored..."
worth know should be worth knowing
name
2003-08-31 00:57:53 UTC
Um there are a bunch like ",dD" ^_^ -- it will make you look bad if
i post all these errors though.
Erm.. I think it would make *you* look bad if you posted them.
Well thats why I asked first... i really could care less how i "look" on a
ng.
Typos don't
count as errors.
lol ok! lets see if MH agrees. If hes a perfectionist or wants his tutorial
to be book quiality he will be estatic about me finding / reporting errors.
(typos are errors in my world)
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
Rob Kennedy
2003-08-31 02:36:14 UTC
Erm.. I think it would make *you* look bad if you posted them. Typos don't
count as errors.
A typo is, by definition, an error. Maybe not an error of significance
in a tutorial on threading, though, and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi.
Rob
Nicholas Sherlock
2003-08-31 06:17:02 UTC
Post by Rob Kennedy
Erm.. I think it would make *you* look bad if you posted them. Typos
don't count as errors.
A typo is, by definition, an error. Maybe not an error of significance
in a tutorial on threading, though, and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi.
In this situation, wouldn't errors be more like, saying incorrect things
about threads or posting incorrect code?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
name
2003-08-31 13:02:38 UTC
Post by Nicholas Sherlock
Post by Rob Kennedy
Erm.. I think it would make *you* look bad if you posted them. Typos
don't count as errors.
A typo is, by definition, an error. Maybe not an error of significance
in a tutorial on threading, though, and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi.
In this situation, wouldn't errors be more like, saying incorrect things
about threads or posting incorrect code?
I think they are talking about incorrect content vs. a typo - to me an error
is an error.
Post by Nicholas Sherlock
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
Rob Kennedy
2003-08-31 19:55:14 UTC
Post by Nicholas Sherlock
Post by Rob Kennedy
A typo is, by definition, an error. Maybe not an error of significance
in a tutorial on threading, though, and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi.
In this situation, wouldn't errors be more like, saying incorrect things
about threads or posting incorrect code?
Those would be errors, and typos would be errors. The ones you mention
would be appropriate topics for this newsgroup, whereas typo discussions
would be more appropriate on, say, alt.usage.english.

If someone posted a message here soliciting comments on a technical
article, I would probably include comments on spelling errors or
apostrophe misuse, but if the only flaws I found were of that nature,
then my comment would probably compliment the writer on the article but
mention a handful of the errors and invite follow-up discussion by
e-mail. Typos can distract readers from the real content of the writing,
and so they are worth fixing, but if the writer hasn't asked for
comments, then mentioning those kinds of mistakes is rude.
Rob
name
2003-08-31 13:01:57 UTC
<snip>
"and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi."

I agree, the wonders of e-mail :) -- it would be neat if people had instant
messengers.
Rob Kennedy
2003-08-31 19:46:30 UTC
Post by name
<snip>
"and certainly not an error worth
discussing on a public forum about Delphi."
I agree, the wonders of e-mail :)
Then why didn't you intiate this discussion with Martin over e-mail
instead of posting here?
Rob
Martin Harvey
2003-08-31 21:21:19 UTC
Post by Rob Kennedy
Then why didn't you intiate this discussion with Martin over e-mail
instead of posting here?
Cos then he'd have to give out a valid e-mail address ;-)

MH.
name
2003-08-31 23:22:21 UTC
Post by Martin Harvey
Post by Rob Kennedy
Then why didn't you intiate this discussion with Martin over e-mail
instead of posting here?
Cos then he'd have to give out a valid e-mail address ;-)
lol....
1.) mh please look at my "My First Thread" thread please!
2.) is ***@pergolesi.demon.co.uk your email? I can make a free yahoo
email and go through a few proxys and send you my list of errors.
MH.
name
2003-09-02 16:55:43 UTC
name wrote in message ...
[...]
Post by name
1.) mh please look at my "My First Thread" thread please!
Thank you so much for demunging his email address on Usenet.
Did you know there are machines combing out newsgroups for
email addresses to send spam to? It's for these machines that
Martin doesn't put his exact email address in his postings.
Now they can just grab it from your post. Congratulations.
Good thinking.
Post by name
I can make a free yahoo
email and go through a few proxys and send you my list of errors.
Yes, you could. Are you really considering this? Perhaps you
should turn your paranoia down a notch and start working on
more important things, rather than hiding who you are. If I
understood correctly, you're only doing that so you may come
in later with your real name without people remembering that
you were once a clueless boneheaded newbie who couldn't spell.
Get over it. I was once clueless, I'm still boneheaded (or I
would have stopped answering to you long ago), and since they
changed it, I can't spell my own language any more, either.
Does degrading your self get you more replys? I wonder if it does. You need
to have a lot of time to answer me and a high tolerence level, as well as a
solid understanding of delphi. I'm a difficult person to reply to :).
Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink
lol =) the email was alredy in his "header" i just wanted to make sure it
was the real one and i dident have to remove something. sorry martin :( all
the evil bots have stolen your e-mail.
Maarten Wiltink
2003-09-02 19:27:49 UTC
name wrote in message ...
[...]
Post by name
Does degrading your self get you more replys? I wonder if it does.
It does not. Groveling is not what we want, that's the Usenet Oracle.
In here, we thrive on _intelligence_.
Post by name
You need to have a lot of time to answer me and a high tolerence
level, as well as a solid understanding of delphi. I'm a difficult
person to reply to :).
I do (3x). You are. <shrug> Nothing I can't handle (although I do
on occasion surprise myself). If you insist on being nice to me,
pay attention to proper spelling. For bonus points, sign your own
name. But don't grovel.
Post by name
lol =) the email was alredy in his "header" i just wanted to make sure it
was the real one and i dident have to remove something. sorry martin :(
It seems no harm was done. Would anybody like to call me on my
presumption to answer for Martin?
Post by name
all the evil bots have stolen your e-mail.
All your email address are belong to us... (-:

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink
J French
2003-09-02 19:38:20 UTC
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:55:43 GMT, "name" <***@m.a> wrote:

<snip>l.
Post by name
Get over it. I was once clueless, I'm still boneheaded (or I
would have stopped answering to you long ago), and since they
changed it, I can't spell my own language any more, either.
Does degrading your self get you more replys? I wonder if it does. You need
to have a lot of time to answer me and a high tolerence level, as well as a
solid understanding of delphi. I'm a difficult person to reply to :).
Read over what Maarten wrote - carefully
... clueless = non-algorithmic ... also non defensive coding
... boneheaded = TPersistent
... Language ... not sure ... Duedenization ?

Basically you have become a sort of 'mascot'

I suspect that a few people are experimenting to see whether a total
non-programmer can be turned into a coder

- the Pygmalion Syndrome
Maarten Wiltink
2003-09-02 20:02:11 UTC
J French wrote in message <***@news.btclick.com>...
[...]
Post by J French
... Language ... not sure ... Duedenization ?
No, I just meant Dutch. I'm one spelling reform behind. Spelling
reforms come about one in fifty years, so there is little chance
that they'll catch up to my lag in Windows versions preference.

What's duedenization? Even Google doesn't know it.

[...]
Post by J French
I suspect that a few people are experimenting to see whether a total
non-programmer can be turned into a coder - the Pygmalion Syndrome.
Stop that. You're scaring me.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink
J French
2003-09-02 20:35:12 UTC
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:02:11 +0200, "Maarten Wiltink"
<***@kittensandcats.net> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Maarten Wiltink
What's duedenization? Even Google doesn't know it.
A guy called Duden (without the 'e's for Umlauts) rationalized German
Grammer and Spelling
- Frankly I reckon he did them a great favour
Post by Maarten Wiltink
[...]
Post by J French
I suspect that a few people are experimenting to see whether a total
non-programmer can be turned into a coder - the Pygmalion Syndrome.
Stop that. You're scaring me.
Yes, we all suffer from that - there is a bit of code that I would
like you to look over, but would not wish to post here.
- too long for a NG - but fairly concise.
Post by Maarten Wiltink
Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink
Maarten Wiltink
2003-09-03 09:23:59 UTC
Post by Maarten Wiltink
What's duedenization? Even Google doesn't know it.
A guy called Duden (without the 'e's for Umlauts) rationalized German
Grammer and Spelling
- Frankly I reckon he did them a great favour
Spelling reforms are *evil*. I will continue to never have
heard of this guy Düden. Brrr.
Post by J French
[...] there is a bit of code that I would
like you to look over, but would not wish to post here.
- too long for a NG - but fairly concise.
It's not like I don't have time. You have my email address.
Two, even, and one of them would work, too.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

Rob Kennedy
2003-09-01 04:10:06 UTC
I dont know his e-mail.
It's given at the top of the table of contents of the article in
question. There's also an e-mail link at the bottom of every page.
Rob
Martin Harvey
2003-08-31 15:18:08 UTC
^_^ then can i cash in my credit for some thread help once i attempt to put
my timer in one?
Yeah, but I don't think you'll be needing much help on that topic...
name
2003-08-31 15:24:18 UTC
See "My First Thread" :)
name
2003-08-31 00:43:40 UTC
Now i could be wrong and if so please correct me.
Yes, you're wroong - the close button as in the little X in the top
right of the window.
You should specify : ) -- i'm wroong lolz.
You don't think I'm that stupid do you?
I dont think typos mean people are stupid. You dont mean to say your perfect
now do you?
MH.
name
2003-08-31 13:05:05 UTC
I'm reading your tutorial on threads!
As I read i'll try and point out little mistakes you've made as well as
learn the material.
ROFL!
Aaaaaahaaaaahhaaahha!!
*choke*
lol =) there are a lot of mistakes -- I wonder where MH is.
--
jc
Remove the -not from email
AlanGLLoyd
2003-09-02 21:26:49 UTC
no probs. They stole it long ago. My e-mail is on just about every
junk malers list and has been for years.
I wouldn't mind that so much, but now they've stolen my email address to _send_
email from. Then it bounces back to _my_ inbox.

Alan Lloyd
***@aol.com